Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Writng Wednesdays :: Color-Coded Commenting

I avoid the above end comments. Not only does it destroy a burgeoning writer's confidence, it can weaken the student-teacher relationship that is so needed to foster trust. I remember reading a similar comment from my ninth grade English teacher. To say I was embarrassed is a gross understatement.

I believe in the power of commenting. Yes, I have students who read them and choose to do nothing about them, submitting a nearly identical final draft from their mid-process draft. This is unavoidable. But -- and here's the silver lining! -- I have more students who digest my questions and suggestions, revising their ideas and syntax structure and turning in more polished final drafts. Yay!

In the March 2013 journal, Teaching English in the Two-Year College, Nancy Mack offers a new take on commenting. She asserts two issues: (a) that color coding her students' essays made it easier for them to revise while lessening her work load, and (b) offering a revision lesson helps aid in a stronger final draft. In the beginning of her article she writes, "The quantity and quality of revision increased when highlighting and comments were connected to a revision lesson taught prior to second drafts" (248). She uses the same colors for every essay and her students are able to -- when they open their GDoc or Word document -- quickly scan for the more important errors:
  • Green highlight = interesting / good ideas
  • Yellow highlight = text needs minor revision 
  • Pink highlight = text needs major revision 
  • Gray highlight = text needs proofreading (for surface feature errors)
She takes time to explain what each color means and how it's applied into her comments. She then offers quotes from students. My favorite response is this one: "I like how Dr. Mack does color highlighted revisions. It makes my writing much better and helps me to judge my own writing better in other pieces" (254, emphasis mine). True learning happens when people apply the skill into other facets, and this student does just that. Good job, Dr. Mack!

I'm planning on using color-coded commenting this week as my seniors submit their annotated bibliographies. I'll offer a revision lesson on Monday so my seniors can see just how to read the highlights and how to make the necessary changes for their final draft. I'm excited to see how this method will change my students' writing.

Mack, Nancy. "Colorful Revision: Color-Coded Comments Connected to Instruction." Teaching English in 
     the Two-Year College 40.3 (2013): 248-56. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment