Friday, February 01, 2013

Quarter 3 :: Writing, Writing, & Writing

So my students are participating in an intensive ten-week writing course. We started the program at the beginning of January. Here's the breakdown:
  • AP Lang&Comp :: 20 students
  • English 12 :: 85 students
  • English 10 :: 12 students
  • Total students :: 117
Here's the breakdown of units for this quarter:
  • AP Lang&Comp :: 6 units
  • English 12 :: 5 units
  • English 10 :: 4 units
  • Total Units :: 15 units
And here's the breakdown of essays for this quarter:
  • AP Lang&Comp :: (6 essays) x (20 students) = 120 essays
  • English 12 :: (5 essays) x (85 students) = 425 essays
  • English 10 :: (4 essays) x (12 students) = 48 essays
  • Total Essays in 10 weeks :: 593
Wowzers. My heart jumped. Today marked the end of Week 4 and it's going splendidly. I can already see growth in my students' critical reading, thinking, and writing skills. Yes, I'm drowning in a sea of essays; but hey, I'll catch up on sleep in June. 

Next time I'll share the breakdown of my writing units and provide my syllabus too. While 593 essays look a lot (who am I kidding? It IS a lot!), it's manageable. And I'll tell you how. But that post will have to wait. I'm heading off to bed. 

JP

No comments:

Post a Comment