Monday, April 22, 2013

Mushfaking Mondays :: When is it Okay to Offer Mercy?



When I first started teaching I was hardheaded when it came to deadlines. I taught 170 seventh graders and could not keep up with the mounting piles of late work. Besides, I reasoned, children need to learn time management and accountability. 

So I stuck with it. Even with the "good kids." I believed I needed to be fair to everyone because making allowances for one opens the flood gate for everyone. And I didn't want that responsibility.

Now, ten years later, I'm not so sure. Yes, deadlines are important and in "real life" (what does real life mean, anyhow? does this mean my students aren't living in the real world?!) deadlines matter. I know. I've cried at the post office once when I couldn't get in so I could renew my passport. And I'm still trying to teach my students accountability. But life happens. And, more importantly, as a Christian, God shows mercy.

Now I'm faced with this rhetorical situation: should I extend mercy upon my students or should I remain steadfast in my ideology about deadlines? For this CAPstone, I have been extending mercy. But only a little bit. And only for the big deadlines. Am I happy about it? Yes and no. I'm happy to see the relieved looks upon my students' face but I'm unhappy that I may be subconsciously teaching them that procrastination is okay, that everyone they meet will offer mercy.

I'm still torn. I'm still mushfaking my way through this murky river.

No comments:

Post a Comment