Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Trending Tuesdays :: A Safe Way to Text Students


A while back I asked my students why they prefer texts to emails. It's faster, was the winning reply. But there were others: I don't have to remember my login information; It's shorter; It's direct; I don't need wifi to access. And despite many of my students claiming to hate technology, many of these same young adults cannot live without their smartphones.

When I found remind101* I knew I hit technology jackpot. Remind101 does everything for us teachers: they provide a simple set up; they offer a tutorial PDF for students (and parents!) to subscribe to their teacher's texts; they provide various means to text (i.e. their website, smartphone, iPad). What's great about this service is the privacy it affords for students and teachers; we don't see each other's cell numbers, which doesn't break any state law (phew!).

Did I mention it's free?

I use remind101 almost once a day. From texting upcoming deadlines to links, my kids and I stay connected. And it's fast, direct, short, and easy. Just what my students love.

*These opinions are solely mine. Remind101 did not pay me to provide a review of its product.

No comments:

Post a Comment