Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Writing Wednesdays :: Common Core: Friend or Foe?

1 // 2

One of my core educational philosophies is the tri-fold cord of critical reading, thinking, and writing. I believe students must master the art of critical reading because - college or life - they will find themselves having to unpack important texts, whether it be in print or visual or audio form. But more than that, students need to master how to critically think because purposeful reading is critical thinking. Conversing with texts, unpacking its meaning and the author's purpose & use of rhetorical devices are key to solidifying or changing our perspectives on issues. Finally, critical writing is the application of reading and thinking. What a person writes reflects what a person thinks, how she digested the texts, how she views the issues. Writing is the application of knowledge.

That's why I like Common Core. It fits within my composition mind frame. Plus, Common Core helps students engage in across-the-discipline learning so that they see that English isn't just about literature (I personally love teaching nonfiction texts), but that English is about literacy and how the knowledge of literacy translates into most, if not all, of their other courses. We need literacy skills to converse in math class, to write in history class, to compose speeches in oral communication class, to jot down lab notes in chemistry class.

Literacy -- the art of critical reading, thinking, and writing -- is, as I believe, the goal of Common Core.

I love Tracee Orman's quote on Common Core (above). Her quote shows the interconnection between reading, thinking, and writing. Its simple language and direction can aid language arts teachers as we officially move into CCSS next school year. When we think about writing, it needs to be in conjunction with reading and the conversations our students have with them. I believe if we move away from compartmentalized frameworks and see how CCSS attempts at demystifying literacy our eyes will open and we will see just how uncomplicated it really is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment